Rotisserie Chicken Chopped Salad
We asked, and you answered!
On Facebook, we asked #WouldYouRather have Cream-Free Chowder or Chicken Salad with Adobo Honey Vinaigrette. We were sure that the chowder was going to win, but as Cook Smarts member Meg said, “They were both delicious but I have to choose the salad because of the vinaigrette. That dressing has become a staple in our house.”
This week’s weeknight recipe is becoming a fast favorite and here’s why:
Juicy rotisserie chicken, crunchy sweet bell peppers, and creamy avocado on a bed of chopped, crisp romaine lettuce.
If that sounds like just another ol’ salad, we put it over the top with an Adobo Honey Vinaigrette that is all at once sweet, tangy, and smoky.
“The dressing is amazing, the salad is delicious. I can’t imagine a sandwich or salad or eggs or giant plate of avocado that couldn’t be made happier with this dressing.” -Jenn
This meal is quick and easy, and takes only 20 minutes to make. Using rotisserie chicken saves on cooking time, and ingredients for the vinaigrette are tossed all together in a blender. Just like that, you are done and ready to eat.
With that said, bon appetit!
“Tasty. I was skeptical about the vinaigrette, but it was great! I loved how easy it was to throw together after having everything prepped in advance.” -Nicole
Mostly everything can be prepped ahead of time. Right before eating, cube the avocado and, if you prefer, warm the chicken. Here’s how to prep quickly and efficiently:
You can use an immersion blender and have the vinaigrette ready in no time.
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our ‘Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools’.
For More Smarts:
Adobo sauce comes in a can with chipotle peppers. You can buy them in small cans in the Latin / ethnic section of your grocery store. They will lend a smoky flavor to your meals and have a little heat. If you’re worried about the heat, just start off with less.
- Rotisserie chicken – ½, shredded
- Adobo honey vinaigrette – ½ cup (ingredients listed separately)
- Green parts of green onions – 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Red peppers – 1, chopped
- Romaine lettuce – 1 head, chopped
- Avocado – 1, cubed
- White parts of green onion – 3 stalks, chopped
- Red wine vinegar – 3 tbs.
- Honey – 2 tbs.
- Adobo sauce – 1 tbs. (can be found with canned chipotle peppers in the Latin / ethnic section)
- Chipotle pepper (opt) – 1
- Dijon mustard – 1 tsp.
- Paprika – ½ tsp.
- Oil – ½ cup (like canola, grapeseed, or avocado)
- Rotisserie chicken – Take meat off the bone and shred. Use knife and fork or just hands. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette – Place everything but oil into a blender (you can also use the cup that came with your immersion blender). Blend until smooth. Then slowly drizzle in oil while blending. Season to taste with salt and pepper (or more adobo sauce). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Red peppers / Romaine lettuce – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocado – Cube.
- Warm chicken in a microwave or in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees if you want to serve it warm-ish in the salad. Divide salad ingredients (romaine, peppers, green onions, rotisserie chicken, avocado) onto plates or bowls. Drizzle with vinaigrette.