Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Our Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto recipe makes this classic Italian dish as easy to cook as it is delicious (and it’s super delicious!).
Risotto is rice cooked in stock and mixed with other ingredients. Traditionally, risotto is a bit laborious to cook and requires a long time spent standing over the stove top. But our Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto is virtually hands-free and as smooth and creamy as the original.
We converted this recipe for use in the Instant Pot with the help of our member-run Cook Smarts Instant Pot community (join them here!), and we’re convinced it’s one of the easiest and most reliable ways to cook risotto. The best part? No stirring!
“Love this! Super easy and one of my favorite meals now. Usually don’t like mushrooms, but turns out I like them roasted and in risotto.“
— Dalia S.
We cook arborio rice for 6 minutes on the Manual function and then fold in freshly roasted mushrooms to give texture and an earthy flavor to this creamy dish, the original recipe (sans the Instant Pot) of which was first featured in February 2015 as part of our meal plan service.
Serve this Mushroom Risotto with chopped fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese on top. Leftovers taste delicious the next day, although they also freeze well for future meals when you just don’t feel like cooking.
Want more Instant Pot recipes? Get free access to our 10 Best Instant Pot Recipes in our brand new guide. You’ll learn how to cook healthy Instant Pot recipes like Turkey Bolognese, Japanese Curry, and more!
Instant Pot Tip: Using the pressure cooker function on the Instant Pot is one of the most consistent, easy, and quick ways to cook risotto.
(For more Instant Pot tips, check out our article here.)
- Onions, parsley, and garlic can be chopped ahead of time while you prep ahead for other meals for the week. See how to easily chop them with these videos:
How to Chop & Dice an Onion
Learning how to dice an onion correctly will save you so much time in the kitchen.
How to Chop Cilantro or Parsley
Learn how to chop parsley using the 'pivot-and-fan' chopping technique with this short video.
How to Mince or Crush Garlic
Garlic adds great flavor and aroma to any dish. Learn how to impart the flavors of garlic to any dish with this short video.
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 10 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Rice, uncooked Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3-1/2 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Onions / Mushrooms / Parsley (if using) – If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep. Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat Instant Pot on Sauté function. Add oil and then onions to heated oil. Sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice and sauté until rice is lightly toasted and the pot is dry. Pour in stock. Lock lid, set pressure valve to “sealing” and cook on the Manual function for 6 minutes. When finished, do a quick release.
- While rice is cooking, toss mushrooms on a sheet pan with second part of oil and thyme. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes (time so it’ll finish around the same time as the risotto).
- Once mushrooms are done roasting, season with some salt and pepper and fold into the risotto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you’re feeling indulgent you can stir in a tablespoon or two of butter. Grate parmesan cheese over top and sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!
A little note: Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means we earn a small percentage from those sales. We use this affiliate revenue to support the continued growth of Cook Smarts. Thank you!
If you love this recipe and want more ways to use your Instant Pot, get our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet eBook for all the IP cooking times, as well as how to convert your favorite recipes for the Instant Pot – all for just $9.99. Also, consider joining our meal plan members who love getting exciting, healthy, and smart menus delivered to their inbox every week!