Panko-Crusted Oven-“Fried” Chicken
Fried. Chicken. Do we have your attention now? ‘Cause those are two words that never fail to make our ears perk up. If you’re like us and love fried chicken, then you’re in luck! Tomorrow is National Fried Chicken Day, which means that you can celebrate and eat all kinds of fried chicken!
While that sounds a bit tempting, we can’t help but take a step back first. Our younger selves would gladly jump at such a tasty opportunity, but after so many years of eating healthy and creating a meal plan service that helps folks cook and eat healthier, it’s actually quite easy to turn down a platter of greasy, crunchy fried chicken now.
“Perfect for a Monday night supper with kids. Leftovers for lunch the next day were actually eaten, instead of deliberately ‘forgotten’ before heading out to work!” -Meredith
We know that might sound like blasphemy, but we’ve got a really, really good reason. Our reason is that there’s a way to enjoy all that crispy, juicy chicken goodness without all the fat!
It’s all in this week’s weeknight recipe, which uses a panko breadcrumb coating to crisp up the exterior of the chicken while keeping all the juices inside. Then we use the oven to “fry” the chicken pieces instead of plunging them into a sea of oil. And all of this takes about 30 minutes to make! Not only are you watching your waistline, you can also have “fried” chicken during the weeknight, because it’s so simple to make.
So yes, we are super stoked about National Fried Chicken Day, but that’s because it gives us a reason to bring this favorite recipe into our dinner rotation this week. (Does anyone else feel like there are too little days in a week to cook all your favorite dinners? That favorites list just keeps growing!)
This recipe is so good, though, it shouldn’t only be reserved for one day out of the year. But it sure makes for a good way to celebrate National “Fried” Chicken Day!
“Overall, easy and quick to put together. And it tasted fantastic. . .The chicken came out crispy with good flavor. A winner!” -Anthony
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless – 1 1/4 lb (567 g)
- Eggs – 1
- Panko breadcrumbs – 1 cup (108 g)
- Paprika – 1 Tbsp (7 g)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (3 g)
- Black pepper – 1/4 tsp (1 g)
- Chicken breasts – Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading stations – In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. Combine panko, paprika, salt, and pepper in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into panko mixture. Cover with lid or zip bag and shake until panko coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- Enjoy chicken with your favorite condiment or sauce!
Prepping & Cooking Smarts
- Always remember to tenderize protein for tender, juicy results. Watch our video below on how to tenderize meat.
- This shake ‘n bake recipe is so easy, you can make more at one time without taking extra time out to do so. Once you bake, the “fried” chicken can be frozen and then reheated for a delicious after-school snack or added to salads or wraps.
How to Season & Tenderize Proteins with a Fork
Maximize flavor and tenderize proteins with this little trick.
- Sheet pan – easy to lay the chicken pieces on and pop right into the oven; no need to wash any pots or pans!
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
Get more helpful cooking tips and resources by signing up for our newsletter below. We send out weekly emails that will help you improve in the kitchen and live a healthier life, so join our community today and start cooking smarter!