Rainbow Flatbread – A Fun Food to Celebrate Pride Month!
Less time in the kitchen means more time celebrating. Have a blast with this rainbow Pride Month recipe that is ready in 35 minutes or less!
Happy Pride Month! For over 50 years, Pride has been celebrated by LGBTQIA+ communities and allies each June. The month of June was chosen to honor the 1969 turning point of the Stonewall Uprising that resulted from police raids on a gay bar.
Each year, millions of people around the globe celebrate Pride with everything from parades and picnics to memorials and symposia. This year, we wanted to give you a fun food to celebrate Pride Month. This festive rainbow flatbread recipe can add an extra element of fabulosity to this important celebration in any home or community.
No one said rainbows can’t be healthy, so that’s why we use red tomatoes, orange and yellow peppers, green broccoli florets, and purple red onion to achieve the most colorful meal you’ve probably had in a long time. And, yes, we know a blue element isn’t included, because – let’s face it – blueberries just didn’t go with the flavor palate. But, you can always snack on some in a bowl on the side or mix up a Blue Lagoon to complete the rainbow.
Since there is so much gaiety (see what we did there?) to enjoy this month, we made sure that this Pride Month recipe is super quick and simple. Just grab some pita, naan, or other favorite flatbread and get to chopping and topping before you pop it in the oven. It only needs about 10 minutes to get the mozzarella cheese melted.
Oh, did we forget to mention the cheesy goodness? Well, this dish is for a celebration after all!
Whether you are a part of the LGBTQIA+ community or are spending time during Pride Month to learn more about (and teach your kids about!) the impact queer individuals have had on history locally and globally, we hope you enjoy this vibrant recipe.
So, let’s jump into the details of what you need to make our rainbow flatbreads and what tricks you can use to make things even more simple . . .
Meal Planning Smarts
- Flatbreads: There are a lot of fabulous flatbreads out there and so many will work beautifully with this recipe, so pick whatever fits best with your budget. Flatbread also freezes and thaws well, so you can save extra pieces for later.
- Communal cooking: You can easily double this rainbow recipe, ask everyone in your queer family to bring an ingredient, and enjoy cooking delicious food to celebrate Pride Month together.
- If you would rather be mingling with loved ones instead of prepping veggies during your gathering, you can easily throw your rainbow flatbreads together in less time than 25 minutes. Just chop the bell peppers, onions, and broccoli up to 5 days ahead of time and simply store them in your fridge separately.
If you could use a little refresher on chopping the veggies used in our rainbow flatbreads, just watch these short demo videos that we always include with our recipes:
How to Chop and Dice Peppers
Learn how to chop and dice red peppers to use for sautes, stir-fries, salads, and more.
How to Chop & Dice an Onion
Learning how to dice an onion correctly will save you so much time in the kitchen.
How to Chop Broccoli
Watch this video to learn how to chop broccoli for a variety of tasty uses.
The only cookware you need for this super simple recipe is a sheet pan! Aren’t you loving how easy this all is?
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
- Bell peppers, orange - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, yellow - 1, diced
- Onions, red - 1/2, diced
- Broccoli florets - 8 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 8 oz
- Flatbreads, like pita - 4
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 8 oz
- Bell peppers / Onions / Broccoli – (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes – Slice tomatoes.
- Steam broccoli – Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread flatbread out in a single layer on a sheet pan (use two if needed).
- Spread the top of the flatbread with hummus. Sprinkle with cheese and then add vegetables on top.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
A little note:
Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means we earn a small percentage from those sales. We use this affiliate revenue to support the continued growth of Cook Smarts. Thank you!
We hope you enjoy this easy Pride Month recipe and that you will have a wonderful month celebrating the beauty and strength of LGBTQIA+ communities!
Get more helpful cooking tips and resources by signing up for our newsletter below. We send out weekly emails that will help you improve in the kitchen and live a healthier life, so join our community today and start cooking smarter.