It’s #EatMoreVeggies month here at Cook Smarts, which means we’re all about helping *you* make any of your health resolutions for this year come true.
We’re not just cheering you on, though – eating more veggies is our goal for 2015 as well, and do we have some fun ways to enjoy veggies!
Case in point: Veggie Noodles!
Fun-to-eat “zoodles” aside, though, we love eating vegetables, and it’s an important part of all our meals. But just because we love eating vegetables in general, doesn’t mean we love all vegetables. And that’s okay.
The point is to keep trying the veggie that you may or may not like, and by using different cooking methods, you might just find that one recipe that will allow you to eat and enjoy your vegetables.
For us, it’s cooked carrots. We’ll eat it, but it’s not a favorite. But one surefire way to get us to eat carrots is to roast them and toss them with a bit of brown sugar when they’re hot out of the oven.
This is a double whammy of sweetening up carrots.
First, roasting caramelizes the natural sugars found in the veggies, and brings out the sweet, sweet flavors. Second, a sprinkle of brown sugar further enhances the sweetness of the carrots, making them irresistible and perfect for non-carrot-lovers. (And carrot lovers, too!)
Whether you love or hate carrots, we encourage you to give these little roasted veggies a try as a way to eat more veggies this month. They won’t disappoint you.
You know that saying that parents always tell their kids when they want them to eat something new? “Try it, you might like it!”
Well, that’s our mantra for this month, and it can’t be any truer.
- Baby carrots are for more than snacking. These pre-prepped carrots are an easy shortcut for roasted vegetables, and they’re great for adding into soups as well!
- Sheet pan – the only piece of equipment you need for this recipe, which means the only cooking dish you’ll need to wash. How easy is that?!
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
- Baby carrots – 12 oz
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper – a sprinkle
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Baby Carrots – If you have thicker baby carrots, slice them in half lengthwise. Otherwise, no prep needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (or 218C) degrees. Toss carrots in cooking oil and some salt and pepper on a sheet pan. If you want to use any spices, like thyme, cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg, feel free to use 1/2 a teaspoon (or 2.46ml). Roast for 25 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- Once baby carrots are done roasting, toss them hot out of the oven with brown sugar.
- Enjoy alongside any dinner entree or eat as a healthy snack!