This taco soup recipe is the kind that you’ll copy down onto an index card and pass onto your children. It’s just the kind of comfort that will be appreciated for years to come. I made a huge pot of this the week before we launched our new meal plan site, and it was just the soulful eats I needed to get through a lot of stressful days and late nights.
I had never felt so busy, but I knew this was the kind of meal that would be super quick and easy to make and also keep incredibly well over the course of the week. I was more than happy to take a break from coding to heat up a bowl of this during lunch and scoop up flavorful bites of spiced-up ground meat covered in a rich tomato sauce and melted cheese. For those of you who keep a well-stocked pantry, you’ll be happy to know, you most likely already have all the ingredients to throw this together. And if you don’t have a well-stocked pantry, you’ll at least start keeping all the ingredients for this recipe on hand so you’re always only ~30 minutes away from a comforting bowl of taco soup.
- Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
- Onion – 1, diced
- Green pepper – 1, diced
- Green onions – 2 stalks, sliced
- Cooking oil – 1 tbs.
- Lean ground beef – 1 lb.
- Garlic powder – ½ tsp.
- Cumin – 1 tsp.
- Coriander – 1 tsp.
- Paprika – ½ tsp.
- Tomato sauce – 1 cup
- Diced tomatoes – 1 28 oz. can, drained
- Frozen corn – 1½ cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Mexican cheese blend, grated – 4 oz.
- Avocado, cubed – 2
- Tortilla chips
- Garlic / Onion / Green pepper / Green onions – Prep as directed
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic and white parts of green onions. Once you can smell the garlic, add in the onions and green peppers with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes
- Add in ground beef with spices, some more salt, and tomato sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add in diced tomatoes and corn with water. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes
- Season soup to taste. Feel free to use more salt, pepper, or even hot sauce. Cube avocado, and garnish soup with cheese, remainder of the green onions, and avocado. Use chips to take heaping bites of your taco soup!