Some of us can’t live without chocolate. Others can’t live without cookies. I can’t live without broccoli. I kid you not.
I’m no health nut. I love pizza and French fries just as much as the next guy, but I LOVE my broccoli. It honestly would be one of my desert island foods, and I love broccoli prepared in any way.
However over the last two years, I’ve really had to up my efficiency in the kitchen game, and my preparation of choice has been roasting broccoli.
Almost every week, I roast a huge batch of broccoli early in the week. It ends up on salads, as finger snacks, as pizza toppings or quesadilla or omelet fillings. Just a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper will do but three extra ingredients – balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and minced garlic – are all it takes to make your roasted broccoli extraordinary.
Best of all, this garlic balsamic vinaigrette is not only great for roasting vegetables. Use it to dress salads and as a sauce or a marinade for your proteins all week long.
- Chopping broccoli into similar-sized pieces helps them to roast evenly. Learn how to prep this veggie with this video:
How to Chop Broccoli
Watch this video to learn how to chop broccoli for a variety of tasty uses.
- Sheet pan – the only equipment you need to roast any kind of vegetable! Easy clean-up and the wide surface area allows the broccoli to caramelize and roast evenly.
- Get more tips on how to roast vegetables with lots of flavor with the post below. We cover the basics of this super easy cooking formula, plus we include some flavor profiles so that you won’t be limited to the same seasonings all the time.
- If you’re looking for the perfect entree pairing to go with this tasty side dish, try one of these dishes:
- Broccoli, chopped – 1½ lbs
- Garlic, minced – 4 cloves
- Balsamic vinegar – 1½ Tbsp
- Brown sugar – 2 tsp
- Olive oil – 2 Tbsp
- Broccoli / Garlic – Prep as directed.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread out onto a sheet pan and toss with vinaigrette and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes, giving the pan a shake midway through.