I just read that Americans are eating less salad than we were in the 1980’s. According to the market research firm NPD Group, the average American eats salad only 36 times a year compared to 45 times a year back in 1985. How is this possible?!? Today, we have gadgets to help us dry our lettuces. If you don’t have time to wash your salad greens, you can buy them packaged up and triple washed. Plus we have more options than ever. I certainly don’t remember seeing arugula, radicchio, little gem, butter lettuce, baby spinach etc. at our local Giant when I was growing up in the ’80’s. It was a head of plain iceberg or slightly green or red lettuce.
With today’s convenience, variety, and endless sources enumerating the healthy benefits of eating your veggies, there’s no reason salad shouldn’t be part of your regular dinner routine. If you’re at a loss for ideas, this summer peach and corn salad recipe is a great one. It might seem like an unexpected combination but I’ve been combining these ingredients with mixed greens and a balsamic vinaigrette for years. In fact, it was just about the only salad I entertained with when I started throwing dinner parties. Sweet fruit and corn felt like such a treat in salad, and it was always such a hit.
Make this salad soon while summer peaches and corn are at their prime. I hope it helps you see salad differently and it becomes a much needed renewed dinnertime tradition. See all our salad ideas and don’t forget to check out our 3 favorite vinaigrettes for more salad inspiration.
Do you eat salad more than 36 times a year? What are your favorite combinations?
- Corn – 2 ears, kernels shaved
- Peaches – 2, sliced
- Balsamic vinegar – 1½ tbs.
- Maple syrup – 1 tsp.
- Olive oil – 3 tbs.
- Mixed greens – ¼ lb.
- Sliced almonds – ¼ cup
- Goat cheese – for serving (~2 oz.)
- Corn – Shuck (remove outer leaves), shave kernels off cob, and microwave for 3 minutes to cook. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peaches – Slice.
- Whisk together balsamic, maple syrup, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. For more vinaigrette ideas, check out this video.
- Toss vinaigrette with greens, corn, and peaches. Top with almonds and desired amount of cheese.