Every so often, we put together a ‘Favorites’ menu that features our members’ favorite Cook Smarts meals. Maple-Dijon Panko Crusted Salmon and Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Onions are a couple of dishes that top our Favorites list, and even today, we still see these dishes popping back up!
Our latest Favorites menu had today’s recipe, Chicken with Honey Lemon Butter, as one of the picks. We also asked everyone on Facebook if you guys would rather have this buttery, flavorful chicken dish or Balsamic Pork Chops. It’s no surprise that this dish won, despite it originally being a meal for the fall or winter.
“Really, really good. The chicken turned out perfect, roasted on the outside, and the flavor was amazing. The vegetables were great, and my husband especially liked how the chicken flavor was absorbed a bit into the roasted potatoes. Will make again.”
It really is a comforting and warming dish, with perfectly seared-then-roasted chicken and tender, roasted potatoes and parsnips. But this favorite is so popular, why only make it when it’s cold out?
All the ingredients are readily available, and it is so easy, since the oven does most of the work anyway. All you have to do is wait patiently. (Not an easy task, if you ask us!)
So while you might not want to turn on the oven this summer, this recipe will be here waiting. You know, just in case you want to give your grill a rest, or maybe on a cooler night, when you have company over…Because this dish is perfect for when you have guests – impressive, tasty, and quick to come together!
“The flavors and textures worked so well together. I used chicken breast tenders instead of thighs, but they still came out moist and flavorful. My husband’s first reaction to this meal was, ‘This is definitely going on our make-again list!'”
We love our grill, especially when summer is here, but even we like to switch it up once in awhile. All you have to say is, “Honey lemon butter chicken,” and we’re in!
Just one taste and we know why this meal became everyone’s favorite.
- Tenderizing the chicken first will maximize flavor.
- Get all your veggies prepped to save on time. Here’s how:
How to Season & Tenderize Proteins with a Fork
Maximize flavor and tenderize proteins with this little trick.
How to Dice Shallots
This short video shows you how easy it is to chop shallots, which lend a lot of flavor to your cooking.
How to Chop Parsnips
Learn how to chop parsnips, a deliciously sweet root vegetable perfect for roasting and using in soups.
How to Prep Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a delicious nutritional powerhouse - learn how to prep them in this video.
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
- Parsnips – 2 , chopped
- Russet potatoes – 2, peeled and chopped
- Olive oil – 2 Tbsp
- Thyme leaves – 1 tsp
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – 1 1/2 lbs
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
- Shallots – 1 bulb, minced
- Honey – 2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
- Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Cooking oil – 1 Tbsp
- Thyme sprigs – 3 to 4
- Chicken – Season with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Parsnips – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
- Potatoes – Prep as directed.
- Make sauce – Combine garlic, shallots, honey, Dijon, lemon juice, and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for ~1 minute, until butter is melted.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss parsnips and potatoes with olive oil and thyme and spread out onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast in the top rack of your oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to your sheet pan of vegetables that have been roasting. Cooking chicken over the parsnips and potatoes will give them extra flavor.
- Pour butter mixture over chicken, add in thyme sprigs, and then roast in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes, until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Chicken and vegetables should finish around the same time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy chicken with roasted vegetables.