Starting off the week with a productive Sunday night in the kitchen is honestly one of the best feelings. If you kick off your week with a slow cooker and a rotisserie chicken, I guarantee you your week will go amazingly well, at least in the cooking department.
One of my favorite slow-cooker and rotisserie chicken combinations is a chicken tortilla soup. Because sometimes soups just don’t feel like an entire meal, I also add carrots and cabbage to my version to make sure this soup stands on its own. Also more vegetables never hurt, right? After making a big batch of this, I can eat this soup morning, noon, and night all week long topped with fresh avocados, sour cream, and herbs.
So next Sunday if you have 30 free minutes, I highly recommend you give this routine and recipe a try:
- Break down the meat of a rotisserie chicken, separating white and dark meat
- Make this rotisserie chicken tortilla soup recipe with the white meat in a slow-cooker
- Package up the dark meat for later in the week (tacos? quesadillas? chicken salad?)
- Throw the bones of the rotisserie chicken into a pot of water (about 3 quarts) to make a quick homemade stock. To the pot add 2 bay leaves, 1 quartered onion, 2 celery stalks, and 3 carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Drain and use throughout the week
In 30 minutes, you’re going to feel like such a champion. Make sure someone in your family gives you a gold star, because you’ll deserve it for being so damn smart.
Helpful tools: 1) Slow cooker
- Garlic, minced – 4 cloves
- Onion, diced – 1
- Carrots, sliced thinly – ½ lb.
- Green cabbage, sliced – ½ head
- Green chilies, chopped – 4 oz. can
- White meat from rotisserie chicken, chopped – 1
- Chicken stock – 1 quart
- Fire-roasted tomatoes – 1 can
- Black beans – ½ can
- Frozen corn – 1.5 cups
- Kosher salt – 2 tsp.
- Cumin – 1 tbs.
- Thyme – 2 tsp.
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Cayenne – pinch
- Bay leaves – 2
- Burrito tortillas, sliced into strips – 2
- Canola oil – 1 tbs.
- Green onions, sliced – 1 stalk
- Avocado, sliced – 1
- Sour cream – ¼ cup
- Garlic / Onion / Carrots / Cabbage / Green chilies – Prep as directed
- Rotisserie chicken – Chop up white meat into bite sized pieces
- Night before or morning of – Toss all ingredients up until bay leaves into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice tortillas into strips. Toss in oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and toast in oven for 6 to 8 minutes
- Season soup to taste and top with crunchy tortilla strips, sliced green onions, sliced avocado, and sour cream if you desire