Classic Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
This simple and classic tomato bruschetta is a perfect accompaniment to your favorite meals, whether you are grilling outdoors or in the kitchen.
For those who have never had this classic Italian antipasto before, bruschetta is a simple and delicious side dish made of grilled bread rubbed with fresh garlic, and topped with a mixture of tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Yup! It’s that simple!
But of course, it’s also delicious. So delicious that, even though it’s easy and quick to make at home, we still like to order it as an appetizer when we go out to an Italian restaurant. What can we say? Bread, garlic, tomatoes, olive oil . . . sometimes simple and classic is the way to go.
It’s no wonder that similar dishes, like artisanal toasts, keep popping up on restaurant menus. All it is is a slice of toasted bread with your favorite spreads smeared on top, and perhaps some sliced avocado. It’s kind of funny to think that something you usually make at home will be found on restaurant menus, but isn’t that the point? We can’t get enough of certain foods, no matter how simple it is, even if we grew up eating it.
There’s comfort in familiar foods, and while we like something different now and then, we still gravitate towards those classic, delicious recipes. Just like classic tacos and beef & barley soup, this Tomato Bruschetta is a mainstay in our recipe repertoire.
Since it’s summertime now, tomatoes are at their peak, and are perfectly juicy and flavorful. We add a bit of balsamic vinegar to bring out the sweetness of the ripe tomatoes. With a nice garlicky flavor from the garlic rub, and crisp, grilled bread, this side is the ultimate side dish to any meal.
Make a classic Italian meal with these favorites:
- Making the bruschetta topping a day earlier will allow the flavors to really meld together. But leave part of the basil out to garnish right before serving, as it will maintain its bright green color and add another layer of freshness! Learn how to prep ingredients for the bruschetta topping with these videos:
How to Dice Tomatoes
Diced tomatoes add so much freshness to salsas, salads, and pastas, and they're super easy to prep.
How to Chiffonade Basil and Mint
Watch this video to learn how to chiffonade basil or mint - chopping into tiny ribbons for a garnish.
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools
- Baguette - 8 oz, sliced into rounds
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil - 6 leaves, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Baguette – Slice into 1/2″ thick slices at a diagonal.
- Garlic – Peel and slice in half. (Can be done 5 days ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes – Prep as directed and combine with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with some salt (it will really bring out the flavor of the tomatoes). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Brush the top of each baguette round with some olive oil.
- If making on outdoor grill: Preheat grill to 400 degrees. Clean grates and add bread to the grill. Toast for about 3 to 5 minutes. When baguette slices are toasted, rub the open side of the garlic clove against the oiled side of the bread. This will give your bread a lovely hint of garlic.
- If making in oven: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread oiled baguette rounds onto a sheet pan. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes, until bread is golden. When baguette slices are toasted, rub the open side of the garlic clove against the oiled side of the bread. This will give your bread a lovely hint of garlic.
- Spoon bruschetta topping over toasts and enjoy!
A little note:
Some of the above links are Amazon affiliate links, which means we earn a small percentage from those sales. We use this affiliate revenue to support the continued growth of Cook Smarts. Thank you!
This blog post was originally published in July 2014 and has been updated with new and helpful resources.
Get more helpful cooking tips and resources by signing up for our newsletter below. We send out weekly emails that will help you improve in the kitchen and live a healthier life, so join our community today and start cooking smarter!