5 Strategies for Using Herbs to Their Fullest Potential
When you have leftover herbs to use, what do you do? Our newest podcast episode shares 5 strategies for how to use herbs before they go bad.
Before I started the Cook Smarts podcast, I asked members what topics they wanted me to address, and one of the top requests was, “Tell me how to use herbs that I have leftover!” Not a surprise considering every single home cook has thrown out a bunch of cilantro because we needed one tablespoon for a recipe and then didn’t know what to do with the rest.
Wasting herbs is something that has happened to all of us, but in today’s episode I’ll walk you through 5 different strategies for getting more out of them, so you don’t end up in a situation where you’re tossing spoiled, wilting [insert cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, sage, thyme, chives, etc.]. Let’s reduce food waste and use herbs to their fullest!
- My simple 2 category herb classification system that’ll help you decide which strategy to use
- How to not have any leftover herbs to begin with
- How to use different methods to freeze herbs and how to know which method goes with which leftover herb
- How to turn your leftover herbs into a delicious herb sauce that can be used to flavor a variety of dishes
- How to add herbs in even when the recipe doesn’t call for it
- How to go beyond cooking and add herbs to drinks
Subscribe & review in your podcast player
We’re a brand new podcast, so please subscribe to us in your podcast player and leave a rating in iTunes! Those people at Apple take reviews and subscription numbers seriously so your endorsement really helps people find us.
And of course, spread the word about our food podcast to your friends and family. Like I mentioned earlier, every single home cook has tossed a bunch of spoiled herbs so this is information everyone can use.
Podcast launch giveaway!
We’re also celebrating the launch of our new podcast with a special giveaway! We’re giving away:
- A 6-month Cook Smarts meal plan subscription that will help you put those leftover herbs to good use!
- A $50 Amazon gift card, which is perfect for buying the two books that we mention in this episode, and…
- A Cook Smarts tote bag of your choice, so that you can shop for bundles of fresh herbs with ease and in an eco-friendly way.
- Leave a review of our podcast on iTunes *this counts as 3 entries!*
- You can also pop onto this Instagram post and tag a friend who will benefit from our cooking podcast in the comments (each tag = 1 entry)
- For one more easy way to enter, share this Instagram post on your Instagram Stories and tag us with #cooksmartspodcast (your account will need to be public for us to see!)
The giveaway is now in full swing and ends on Wed 5/1. The winner will be randomly chosen on Thu 5/2, and will be notified on our Instagram on Fri 5/3.
Note: If you participate in the giveaway through both Instagram and by leaving a review on iTunes, let us know what handle you used for the review, so we can don’t miss any of your entries!
Links mentioned in this episode
Get more helpful cooking tips and resources by signing up for our newsletter below. We send out weekly emails that will help you improve in the kitchen and live a healthier life, so join our community today and start cooking smarter!