I’ve been a Bon Appetit magazine subscriber since 2005. I was a few years out of college, a yuppie-in-training, and an aspiring foodie. Every month, I read Barbara Fairchild’s letter from the editor and dreamt that someday I could be like her. However, over the years as I shaped my own food personality and perspective, I started to cook less and less from the magazine. I considered breaking up with the mag. It was me, not it. I had changed.
Just as I was about to initiate the break-up though, it got a makeover. It was a whole new mag, one that seemed a way better match for the new me. I stayed, and almost 3 years later, we’re happier than ever. Every month I excitedly await the next issue and indulge in a tradition of cozying up with a cup of tea in my beloved armchair, tagging all the recipes I’m eager to make. Flipping through the June 2013 issue, I fell more in love with the mag when I saw these Spiced Salmon Kebabs. The photo was mouthwatering, the recipe simple – just the way I like my meals.
However, I’m someone that can never follow a recipe exactly (it is why I’m a terrible baker). I have to give it my own rift. In the case of these kebabs, I’ve been sprinkling za’atar on everything after picking up a bottle from Roxanne at the Mountain View Farmer’s Market. I decided to give the kebabs a Middle Eastern twist with za’atar (instead of cumin) and a sprinkle of dill (instead of fresh oregano) at the end. I loved the new take and hope you all add these kebabs to your summer repertoire and try your own different spice combinations on it (and of course share with me in the comments!).
Oh, and I loved the tip Bon Appetit gave with this recipe about using 2 skewers instead of one. No more dealing with ingredients rolling around the skewers as you’re trying to flip them during the cooking process. Here’s a quick video to show you how to assemble these delicious kebabs.
- Skewers – 16
- Salmon – 1½ lbs., cubed
- Lemons – 2, sliced thinly into rounds
- Oregano – ½ tsp.
- Coriander – ½ tsp.
- Za’atar – 1 tsp. (sub thyme)
- Cooking oil – 1 to 2 tbs.
- Dill, fresh – a sprig or two, chopped
- Skewers – Soak in water.
- Salmon – Rinse and dry fish. Chop into 1″ cubes (It’s OK if some pieces can’t be perfectly cubed. We’ll just fold them over when skewering.). Toss with salt & pepper.
- Lemon – Slice as thinly as possible.
- Spice mix – Mix together oregano, coriander, and za’atar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Assemble each kebab with two skewers (When you use just one, ingredients often roll around, making it hard to flip efficiently). Alternate salmon cubes and lemon, folding lemon slice in half. Brush both sides with cooking oil and then sprinkle with spice mixture.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon kebabs and sear on both sides for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Enjoy kebabs with chopped dill. (BTW, you can eat the lemons!)