Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal | Breakfasts

Slow cooker steel cut oatmeal with apples and almonds

We haven’t done a whole lot of breakfasts on our site, and I need to fix this because breakfast is a pretty important part of the day. I also know it’s one of the toughest to truly cook something for. You’re bleary-eyed, fumbling for coffee, and making sure your socks match is about all your brain can handle in the morning (at least that’s how I operate). That’s why it’s best if breakfast is already pre-made and just needs a quick warming up. Making a big batch of steel cut oatmeal in a slow cooker is one of my favorite simple and easy pre-made breakfast solutions.

I love the fiber in oatmeal (c’mon admit it, your digestive system could use a little fibrous “push” too, right?), but I’ve never enjoyed oatmeal made out of rolled oats. The texture was just not for me, but I absolutely love oatmeal made of steel cut oats though. The only downside of steel cut oats are they take a lot longer to cook, which is why it’s a perfect candidate for slow cooking. On a Sunday night, I’ll dump everything in the pot, turn it on low, and let it go overnight for a fresh breakfast in the morning. The rest gets packaged away for the week.

I like to keep the base simple and then mix it up throughout the week. Some days I’ll add nuts and cinnamon. I also love stirring in yogurt for some extra morning protein. And of course, you can never go wrong with any fresh fruit – bananas, apples, and berries all make great toppings. I’ll even add preservers or shaved coconut to make it a sweeter treat. Drizzle with maple syrup and this breakfast almost seems like a healthy dessert.

Helpful tools: 1) Slow cooker

Smarts to learn:

1. Steel cut oats use a 4:1 liquid to oats ratio. You can use any combination with the liquid – water, soy milk, almond milk, normal milk – all work
  2. If you don’t have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan

[magicactionbox id=”3784″]

4.8 from 4 reviews

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal
Prep time

Cook time

Total time

Most of us are too busy to make breakfast in the morning, so a big pot of steel cut oatmeal made in a slow cooker is the perfect solution to make sure you always have a healthy meal to start the day
Recipe type: Make Ahead Breakfast
Serves: 10-12

• Steel cut oats – 2 cups
  • Water – 6 cups
  • Milk (any type) – 2 cups
  • Butter – 2 tbs.
  • Apples, peeled & chopped (optional) – 2 to 3
  • Brown sugar – ¼ cup
  • Kosher salt – 2 tsp.
  • Cinnamon – 1 tbs.
  • Star anise (optional) – 2 to 3

1. Optional: Give the slow cooker a quick spray of cooking oil or brush with cooking oil to prevent sticking of ingredients
  2. Put all ingredients in a slow cooker
  3. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high
  4. Top with nuts, yogurt, fruit, jams, coconut shavings!
  5. Steel cut oats use a 4:1 liquid to oats ratio. You can use any combination with the liquid – water, soy milk, almond milk, milk all work
  6. If you don’t have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan

Print Friendly
Get your three free meal plans from Cook Smarts

Our meal plans empower you to live your happiest and healthiest life in the kitchen.

1. Taylor Ahlgren says

I love this oats-for-the-week concept – I’ve recently experimented by adding protein powder and almond butter to mine. Jess – what are the differences you notice between cooking in slow cooker for 8 hours vs over the stove in 45min?

• says

@Taylor Yes, almond butter and protein powder would be good additions. I haven’t noticed really any difference between the two cooking methods. Slow cooker is just a lot more low maintenance for me. I’m sure we’ve all burned oatmeal before on the stovetop, which doesn’t really happen in a slow cooker

2. scrivener says

I love steel-cut oats in my slow-cooker, and after several attempts here’s what I’ve learned.

1. Smaller batches, if you live by yourself, work best. Make a cup at a time.

2. For these smaller batches, use a smaller slow-cooker. You can get a one-quart slow-cooker for less than $20, usually. And if you’re buying a new one anyway, you might as well buy one with a “warm” setting, because

3. My best oatmeal is made like this: put a cup of steel-cut oats in a slow-cooker. Boil a quart of water. Pour the boiling water over the oats. Cover the slow-cooker, and leave it on WARM overnight.

4. Yum.

• says

@scrivener When you say 1 cup at a time, do you mean 1 cup dried or finished? I’m sure your oatmeal is delicious! And I agree with you on the smaller slow cooker if you’re mostly cooking for 1. I’ve definitely made smaller batches of oatmeal in our large 6 quart and it’s not as great

• onebadscrivener says

I love that this post is still getting comments, and just noticed that I never answered your question. I meant one cup of dry oats, which does nicely in the smaller crock. I hope someone tries it my way; it really has given me the best results. :)

• says

I followed these instructions for my first try with steel cut oats in the crock. I used 3 cups water & 1 cup milk, but will use all water next time. 1 Cup up Steel Cut Oats was enough for me to share with my baby and my teenager. It was SO nice to wake up to warm breakfast whenever I was ready!

Oh, and I used a regular sized Crock. AND I saw this size at the store today for $20!

• says

Momma Jorje, Thanks so much for stopping by and so glad this steel cut oats recipe worked for you. You can make it different every single time with different fruits and nuts.

3. says

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about breakfast dishes. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Cheers

4. Courtney says

This looks amazing! You say you ‘package’ it away for the week – how long do you find it lasts, and how best to store it?

• says

@Courtney, thx for the question! So, for us, it lasts almost the entire work week M-F. You can always freeze too if you don’t think you’ll get through it within 5 days. Just store it properly – whether fridge or freezer – in airtight containers and use the reheat setting in a microwave. This will get it to safe heating temps but not re-cook your oatmeal.

5. says

Made this today – my second attempt at crock pot oatmeal. First time was a horrible, disgusting disaster! LOL This time I cooked it during the day so that I could keep an eye on it. After 5 hours it was perfect. So, no overnight for me but I can easily double the recipe in my 6 quart cooker and make plenty to freeze for later on a weekend.

Thanks for the recipe!

PS – Don’t forget to spray the pot with non-stick cooking spray. It saves tons of time during clean up.

6. Vinnie says

Made this overnight and it came out as described. My wife LOOOOVED them. I personally did not. I don’t think this is due to the recipe though. I’m used to the instant packets with all that yummy sugar!

Would you suggest adding some fruit to add some sweetness to them?

• says

Hi Vinnie, so sorry you didn’t love this but glad your wife enjoyed it. Did you put the apples in? Next time, try adding a few tablespoons of jam or preserves to add sweetness and then fresh fruit at the end. I personally love adding strawberries, shaved coconut, and some sliced almonds

7. Lori says

If you are making a single serving, you can eliminate the mess completely by mixing the oatmeal in a heat-proof dish and then putting the dish in your slow cooker and then filling your slow cooker with a few inches of water. In the morning, just use an oven mitt to take the bowl out of the slow cooker and let it cool a bit before eating.

8. Alyssa says

I made this last night, for our breakfast this week…and I have to say- I am impressed. This is my first experience with steel cut oats, so I was not sure what to expect. I did 2 cups of oats and 8 cups of water (instead of milk- I read on another site it keeps better with no milk?), plus 2 T butter, 1 t salt, and 2 apples. My husband is not a fan of cinnamon, so I didn’t want to take the chance of “ruining” a whole pot of oatmeal for him. I wish that you had posted some pictures of what it looked like in the crock pot- I found that mine never “thickened” as much as rolled oats seem to- although I can see on your picture, under the nuts and stuff, that it does look about the same in the bowl. I will make this again :) Thank you for posting!

9. Roshni says

Thank you for all the post.

I have a question, about the ratio of liquid. In the Quaker box, of Steel Cut Oats, it seems to recommend 1 cup of dry oats for 2 cups liquid to yield 4 servings.

If I am using the Quaker brand , what do I do?, What about other brands ?

• says

Hi Roshni, typically it’s a 1:4 ratio, and I’ve never used the Quaker brand. However, if that’s what the box says, I’d follow those directions.

10. Tracy says

Made this recipe last night. Just threw everything into my crockpot and turned it on at 11pm. The oatmeal was absolutely perfect at 7am. I will probably never make stovetop oatmeal again. Absolutely delicious! Thank you!

• Sandra says

Oh, I’ve been looking everywhere to find a recipe/instructions on how to use the rice cooker for oatmeal. Could you please describe what you do with that? Is it the same ratio?

11. cora says

I cut up 1 apple, and 3 small peaches. For my liquid I used 6 cups apple juice and 2 cups vanilla soy milk. I used 1/8 cup of brown sugar because of the juice. I also added to the spice mix, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 6 whole cloves, a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger and 1 teaspoon of orange extract as well as 2 tablespoon coconut oil since I don’t eat butter. It came out AMAZING!!! Thank you so much. :)

12. Caitlin says

This was AMAZING!!! I have tried crock pot steel cut oats before with little success. Even my daughter, who INSISTED that she hates oatmeal, polished off her bowl! Thank you for a recipe that is delicious, easy, and pleases the whole family!

13. Lynda says

I made Quaker Steel Oats in my crockptot for breakfast using the package directions as a guide; 2 cup water and 1/2 cups oats. I found oatmeal soup waiting for me and had to put it in a saucepan on the stove to boill away the excesss water. finally, it was just right. What did I do wrong?

14. Donna says

This is a slightly different version. I use Trader Joes Quick Cook Steel-Cut Oats.

1 cup Steel-Cut Oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
    4 cups unsweetened Almond Milk (certified gluten-free if necessary)
    2 medium Apples, chopped
    1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
    1 teaspoon Cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
    2 tablespoon Maple Syrup
    Splash of Lemon Juice
    Optional Toppings
    Peanut Butter
    Freshly chopped apple

Add all ingredients to your slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
    (If using Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats, cook 2 hrs on low & 8 hrs on Keep Warm)

Give it a good stir. Top with your favorite toppings. I like peanut butter and fresh chopped apples.

Store leftovers in fridge for up to 1 week. To reheat add a splash of almond milk and heat up in microwave.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 5 | Serving Size: 1 cup

Per serving: Calories: 180; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 135mg; Carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 11g; Protein 5g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 109mg; Iron: 8%; Vitamin A: 9%; Vitamin C: 6%; Calcium: 40%

15. Lyn says

I make this and put in I cup of skim milk powder. And raisons – lots of raisons! Cinnamon. I also added fruit salad that I got from the food bank. Mostly apples but has pears, oranges & whatever else they have. No need for added sweeteners. I find I need more water than called for but I like my oats pretty mushy. Note that the bit C is cooked out of any citrus after cooking.

16. Julia says

I made this last night as directed. The oats were soft but it was but to soupy for my taste. I could scale back the liquid next time. Did the overnight on low for 8 hours.

17. Christine says

I think I know why some people are getting soup. QUICK COOKING steel cut oats require a 2:1 ratio. Make sure you know which you are using

18. Frances says

My first time with pinhead oats and swiftly realised that the enormous jug for 1/4 cup of oatmeal in the microwave was ineffective (still exploded everywhere) and inefficient (15 minutes every morning?)
    So figured batch cooking was the way forward, and this is awesome! Second time making it – the first time I found it dried out a bit much and I lost a lot (as a previous poster) to sticking on the sides of the crock. Thought this might also be because my fairly basic slow cooker runs quite hot even on low, and it invariably ends up being more like 8 1/2 – 9 hours.
    I forgot again to spray oil last night oops, but increased the liquid to ten cups (5:1 ratio), and it came out perfectly with only a bit sticking to the sides. Looked much too runny when I first started spooning it into jars but had thickened nicely by the time I got to work, and just the right temperature to eat at my desk.
    Have given up refined sugar so none of that, but still pretty tasty – my Scottish background says I should only really be making with water and salt so milk and cinnamon are already pretty decadent. I’ll remember to buy apples (or pick them from the neighbour’s overhanging tree) for next time as I think that would up the sweetness plus add some breakfast excitement. Perhaps raisins or chopped dates too?
    I made the full batch just for me, I’ve taken half to work to keep in fridge and will freeze the rest until I run out – it’s easier to transport on bicycle in frozen form :)
    Thanks again for a great and simple recipe.

19. Arlene says

I really love steel cut oats that are made over the stove. I love the texture particularly. However, I dislike the long wait for it to be ready for breakfast. So I tried this recipe. I was very disappointed with it. It was on from midnight to 5:30 am. It was mushy and despite spraying the crock pot it was stuck in places. The treasured texture was lost all together. Not sure how I got these results when others rave about this method and are so pleased!
    The crock pot I use has only low and high. Used low of course. My husband found it hard to choke down given the mushy consistency.
    Back to the stove pot method for me.

20. Tanya says

Just wondering about using milk in this recipe – does it not curdle if you cook it for that long? I’ve read on other sites that you should only add milk to slow cooker recipes in the last hour. Has anyone tried adding the milk at the start? How did it go?

21. Jackie b. says

I prepare slow cooker steel cut oats in a water bath. I prepare the oats in a glass bowl. Put the bowl in the crock pot and add water up to the fill line of the bowl. Cleanup is a breeze.

22. says

Tried it during the evening last night after reading comments about how some crock pots cook faster than others: turned out perfect after 6-7 hours in mine. Used Almond milk and omitted the apples , but added sliced almonds and thawed frozen berries to my individual serving the next morning. Got a little burning on the sides of the crock pot but I was just careful not to disturb that and the rest was perfect in flavor and texture. Gonna look into the crock pot liners for sure. My hubby loves this for a quick but healthy breakfast and we have enough for 3 more mornings. Great recipe!

23. Kelly says

Hmmm, well I started my crockpot last night. I just did oats and liquid (water/milk). It’s been going 9 hours now on low and its still really soupy. Any thoughts? Either less liquid next time or expect a longer cook time? Smells good but it’s too soupy to eat yet. .

24. Liz says

My batch turned out perfect. I followed the recipe, using vanilla almond milk for the milk ingredient, and leaving out the apples. I set my crockpot for 8 hours and went to bed. When I got up this morning, I thought it was a bit soupy, but after giving it a good stir it seemed to thicken up and it was delicious! The only thing I would do differently next time is add less salt. This will definitely be my way to prepare steel cut oats!