Tomato, Avocado & Quinoa Salad
Creamy and luscious avocados…crisp cherry tomatoes bursting with flavor…Is it any surprise that we are already itching for summer? Don’t get us wrong – we adore spring and all the fresh produce it has to offer. But on chilly days, we can’t help but look forward to warmer weather.
The good thing about living in California is the produce that is available year-round. We’re talking fresh produce right at our fingertips at any time!
Feeling like guacamole during the winter? We got avocados! Craving a tomato, basil, and mozzarella panini despite the pouring rain? You got it!
But even though we are a little spoiled with all this fresh produce in California, we still prefer to buy and eat seasonally. Not only is eating seasonally better for your health and the environment, eating produce right at its peak means a ton of flavor. In other words, they taste so much better when in season! Another plus is that produce in season is a lot less expensive than if you were to buy them out of season.
So we figured we would get you prepared for when summer rolls around, by sharing this delicious, light, and healthy side dish. This quinoa salad is easy to make, with simple ingredients, made outstanding with fresh tomatoes, avocados, and green onions. The dressing, made with honey and lime, is both sweet and tart, making this the perfect side for any main dish.
Check out this easy way to cube avocados:
Cook the quinoa in a sauce pan like this one.
- Green onions – 1 stalk, sliced, separated into white parts and green parts
- Honey – 2 1/4 tsp.
- Lime juice – 1 1/2 tbs.
- Cooking oil – 2 tbs.
- Salt – pinch
- Quinoa, dry – 1 cup
- Grape / cherry tomatoes – 1/2 pint, halved
- Avocado – 1, cubed
- Quinoa – Combine with 1 3/4 cups of water. Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes
- Green onions – Slice, keeping white and green parts separated
- Make dressing – Mix honey, lime juice, white parts of green onions, a pinch of salt, and oil
- Halve tomatoes and cube avocados. Toss with cooked quinoa, the green parts of the green onion, and the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.