BBQ Baked Salmon (or Tofu) and Almond Green Beans
For week 4 of January’s Super-Food Challenge with Hey Fran Hey, we chose the healthiest protein out there – fatty fish (e.g., salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines, albacore tuna). This is one of the rare times where we’re going to tell you that it’s better to eat something fatty, so take advantage. Fish, unlike other animal proteins, is packed with omega-3’s. In babies, omega-3’s have been found to boost brain development. In adults, it keeps your heart strong and beating normally (always a good thing, right?).
While some of you consider fish a dish you only order at restaurants, I’m going to tell you that it is incredibly easy to make at home. Unlike chicken it can be enjoyed slightly underdone, so you don’t have to cook the crap out of it to make sure it’s safe for consumption. This recipe for BBQ baked salmon with almond green beans is one of our favorite “cheat” meals. It literally all comes together in less than 15 minutes by making use of store-bought BBQ sauce and that handy microwave of ours. If you’re a vegetarian, try substituting a piece of firm tofu or a veggie patty instead. A healthy protein with a tasty side of green vegetables – health doesn’t get better (or easier) than this.
Check out our full list of fish recipes here
*We are so excited to be part of Hey Fran Hey‘s January Super-Food Challenge. We know that everyone wants to kick off the new year with some healthy eating habits, so we put together a list of our favorite super foods. Throughout the month of January, you’ll be challenged to cook a new super food every week. Get ready to feel super!
- Salmon (Vegetarians can substitute with a slice of firm tofu or a veggie patty) – ~0.75 lbs.
- BBQ sauce – 1 tbs.
- Green beans, pre-trimmed – ½ lb.
- Butter – ¼ tbs.
- Slivered almonds – 2 tbs.
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven (toaster oven if you have one) to 400 degrees
- Place salmon on foil / parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush salmon with your favorite BBQ sauce[img src=”https://www.cooksmarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/20120625-SalmonBeans-01.jpg” alt=”Preparing to bake salmon” title=”Preparing to bake salmon” width=”755″ height=”501″ class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-2555″]
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness. While salmon is baking, continue to next steps
- Place green beans in a microwave safe container with 2 tbs. of water. Cover but leave a small vent. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes
- When green beans are done microwaving, add butter, almonds, and kosher salt to container. Recover and shake to melt butter and season
- Don’t care for BBQ sauce? Make a quick vinaigrette (like dijon mustard + maple syrup + balsamic vinegar) and brush the salmon with that. For vinaigrette inspiration, check this chart out