Southwest Green Chili Turkey Cheeseburgers
There’s just something about a juicy, flavorful meat patty sandwiched between two pieces of lightly toasted buns. And the fact that no forks and knives are necessary.
All you need to do is dig in and enjoy.
But the greatness of burgers doesn’t stop there, and that’s what makes us so excited about burgers. There are a ton of different ways to top them, and these toppings and sauces add different textures and tastes to make a burger unique every time.
It can be a luscious slice of perfectly ripened tomato, crisp and refreshing lettuce leaves, or a smooth, buttery pile of lightly mashed avocado. Or it can be a sweet and tangy sauce or fiery jalapeno rings. . .Doesn’t matter what kind of topping, patty, or bun – if it’s a burger, we want to eat it.
“Yum! We had these for dinner and they are fantabulous. The spice mix is just right to give it a flavor that makes you crave more.”
That’s why we came up with our Ultimate Burger Guide – so everyone can experience the joys of making and eating burgers! And when we say everyone, we mean everyone. Vegetarians can get in on the fun with meatless veggie patties, and paleo or gluten-free folks can still have a forkless meal by sandwiching burger patties between grilled veggie slices. Everyone wins!
Our Ultimate Burger Guide has 20 deliciously awesome burger combos (so go check it out now!), but there are so many possibilities, we had to share another one of our favorites this week.
“Wow! I’m not a big fan of turkey burger, but both my husband and I thought these were delicious. Prep is fast and cook time is fast. This is a perfect summer burger.”
Other than this burger being simply delicious, there are two things that take this burger from incredible to out-of-this-world spectacular:
1. It’s super quick and easy to come together because not much prep is required. Other than making the patties, all you have to do is open a can. That’s it! Canned green chilies not only add great flavor to the patties, they’re also very convenient. This is a good cooking tip to keep in mind when making burgers: Try adding jarred or canned ingredients, such as sundried tomatoes or olives, to add flavor with minimal effort.
2. Cheese! Because cheese makes everything better, we finish this burger by adding a slice of cheese towards the end of the patty’s cooking time, so that it can get all perfectly melty and wonderful.
Now that is one awesome burger we could easily sink our teeth into!
Not a fan of ground turkey? Try swapping it out with another meat. Just remember to refer to our Meat Temperature Guide to make sure you are cooking them to the right temperature.
For More Smarts:
Double the amount of patties, so that you can enjoy them in different ways, like in a breakfast sandwich. You can even make some into meatballs to add to salads or pastas, or to enjoy in a meatball sub!
For more kitchen and equipment and tool smarts, visit our ‘Essential Kitchen Cookware and Tools’
- Green chilies (4 oz / 113 g) – 1 can
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Coriander – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground turkey, lean – 1 1/4 lb
- Cooking oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cheddar cheese – 4 slices
- Buns – 4
- Tomatoes – 2, sliced
- Mixed greens – 1 oz
- Chilies – Open can and drain liquid.
- Make patties – Mix chilies, paprika, coriander, chili powder, cumin, and salt with ground turkey. Form into patties (1 / serving). If you wet your hands first, it’s easier to work with the meat.
- Heat up a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then patties to heated oil. Cook on both sides for 5 to 6 minutes, until the turkey patty reaches 165F / 74C. Once turkey is cooked through, top with cheese and cook for another minute.
- While patties are cooking, slice tomatoes for burgers. Toast buns.
- Assemble your cheeseburgers with sliced tomatoes and mixed greens. Enjoy with any of your favorite toppings and condiments!