Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with a Baked Potato
So what’s better than slow cooker chili? Slow cooker chili on top of a baked potato!
Our first slow cooker recipe of the season comes just in time for Halloween. If you’ll be getting your kids (and yourself!) costumed up for trick or treating, this dish will make sure that they’re sent off warm and well-fed. Another added bonus? Because this is a slow cooker meal, it’s already made ahead of time and you won’t have to worry about prepping or cooking that night.
The only thing you’ll have to do is pop some russets (or sweet potatoes for our paleo diners) into a microwave for 10 minutes. This is one of my favorite shortcuts. Out comes light and fluffy baked potatoes all ready for you to smother with delicious chili. Serve with your standard chili toppings – sour cream, grated cheese, green onions, even broken up tortilla chips.
Dinner might be so good that your kids might just forget about the candy.
- Learn how to dice onions and carrots with the videos below.
- Get yourself a slow cooker. This one is such a steal (and also the one that we own!).
- Vegetarians or those looking to save a bit of money can substitute dried beans for the ground turkey. 1 cup of uncooked beans make 3 cups of cooked beans.
How to Chop & Dice an Onion
Learning how to dice an onion correctly will save you so much time in the kitchen.
How to Chop Carrots
Watch this video to learn our tips on how to best peel, chop, and dice carrots easily.
- Ground turkey - 1 lb.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onion, small - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Carrots - 1/2 lb., diced
- Cooking oil - 1 tbs.
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 2 tsp.
- Coriander - 2 tsp.
- Oregano - 1 tsp.
- Paprika - 1 tsp.
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp.
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Russet potatoes, small - 4, pierced with a fork
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Butter (opt) - for serving
- Sour cream (opt) - for serving
- Cheese, grated (opt) - for serving
- Green onions, chopped (opt) - for serving
- Ground meat – Season with a generous dash of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onion / Celery / Carrots – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Start slow cooking – Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then ground meat. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned, ~6 to 8 minutes. Drain out any grease and transfer to slow cooker. Add garlic, onions, celery, carrots, crushed tomatoes, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and stock. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season chili to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce, or any of the spices. Keep warm until ready to serve – the flavors will continue to develop. If not serving within the day, cool and store.
- Pierce holes in potatoes using a fork. Place in a baking dish and pour 2 tbs. of water in the dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and cook in microwave for 10 minutes, turning once in the middle.
- Once potatoes are cooked, slice them open. You can serve with butter, sour cream, or hot sauce on top or spoon chili over them and then top with whatever fixings you’d like.
Want more easy and delicious recipes? Check out our meal plan service! All meals come w/ gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options, as well as a grocery list and optional weekend meal prep tips. Click to learn more and sign up for a FREE trial!