Meal Plan Menu | Week of 7/27/20
Don’t let the heat of summer slow you down! This week’s meal plan menu includes light summer dinners that are quick to make and pack in the flavor of the season. Taste the difference of homemade cooking – summertime style!
Jerk Fish with Cucumber Salsa & Plantain Chips
You’ll fall head over heels for this sweet, tangy, and spicy marinade that we’ve previously used to infuse flavor into chicken – and it works amazingly well with fish! After marinating the fish, all that’s needed is a quick sear in a skillet for a super easy weeknight dinner. Top with cool cucumber salsa and serve with crunchy plantain chips and a refreshing pineapple smoothie for a well-rounded and vibrant meal.
A simple substitution for soy sauce is all that’s needed to make this dinner either gluten-free or Paleo compliant. For a great Meatless Monday option, try our recipe for Jerk Tempeh with Cucumber Salsa.
Veggie Burger in a Bowl with Oven Fries
The Cook Smarts team had a lot of fun creating this California-inspired veggie burger with a twist. We serve it in a bowl full of fresh arugula, cherry tomatoes, and french fries (yes fries!) topped with a creamy homemade avocado dressing. There’s lots of ways to enjoy a good burger – and we have a feeling you’ll love this one!
This naturally vegetarian meal is easily made gluten-free by using GF panko breadcrumbs, almond flour, and tamari. For a tasty Paleo option, try our recipe for Seared Flank Steak with sweet potato wedges, arugula tomato salad, and creamy avocado dressing.
Sriracha Chicken Ramen Salad
Colorful veggies, marinated chicken, and tasty ramen noodles are tossed in a sweet and savory Asian vinaigrette that’s delicious warm or chilled – perfect for a simple summer night dinner. Our community members also love this salad for meal prep and leftovers, so feel free to make extra portions for a filling lunchtime salad.
Tofu is a delicious and budget-friendly substitute in our recipe for Sriracha Tofu Ramen Salad. Our gluten-free and Paleo members will make a few substitutions to the marinade and use either GF noodles or make zucchini noodles.
Turkey Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Make this taco salad a go-to meal in your household, just like many of our Cook Smarts members have! It’s a great way to eat a well-balanced meal that has layers of flavors, textures, and colors. It’s also a wonderful way to use any leftover veggies in the fridge! Make one large salad and serve it family style, or set out all the toppings and let everyone build their own salad. From seasoned ground turkey to crisp lettuce, sweet bell peppers, juicy tomatoes, cheese, olives, and tortilla chips, there’s something for everyone to love! This recipe uses leftover creamy avocado dressing made from earlier in the week so dinner can be on the table in minutes.
Try our vegetarian recipe and use spiced pinto beans and corn in place of the ground turkey – it’s a hearty and filling salad even without meat! Use your favorite GF tortilla chips for a gluten-free taco salad or top with crunchy pepitas for a tasty Paleo option.
“[Cook Smarts’] meal plans are thought out as a whole to make the most of ingredients and minimize food waste. There are often elements you cook once to use for two different dinners. The menus are also seasonal and make good use of fresh produce.”
– Rebecca K. (Member since May 2015)
Smart meal planning ideas come with every weekly menu. The smarts listed below are only a portion of the meal prep tips we include to help you make the most of your ingredients and your time. Join our community to get the full benefits of our meal plan service every day!
Meal Planning Tips
- This week is all about fresh marinades, dressings, and sauces that add flavor to each meal. Get a head start by making the marinades / dressings in advance. This will save you time and clean-up throughout the week.
- Prep the proteins for this week by marinating the Jerk Fish and the Sriracha Chicken one day ahead of time. You can also form Tuesday’s black bean veggie burger patties up to 3 days before cooking.
- Wednesday’s Sriracha Chicken Salad is great warm or chilled, so feel free to make the entire dish in advance and serve chilled for a super speedy midweek meal.
An efficient meal plan not only saves you time and money in the grocery store, but also reduces food waste by using one ingredient in several meals.
- Fresh cilantro and zesty limes are used in all meals this week to add a splash of summer flavor. Be sure to use our Grocery List feature to calculate exactly how much you’ll need based on the servings you plan to make.
- Rewarm and chop leftover veggie burgers and toss with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and shredded cheese. Add a drizzle of leftover creamy avocado dressing and wrap in your favorite tortilla for a satisfying vegetarian lunch wrap.
- We love using leftover ingredients in a frittata – try our recipe for Taco Frittata with Ground Beef, using leftover ground turkey and toppings from Thursday’s taco salad.
- Don’t let any of the creamy avocado dressing go to waste! Use it as a dip for fresh veggies, a spread for sandwiches, or even on burgers for a weekend barbeque.
We do more than create meal plans.
We create memories around the dinner table.
All meals come with gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options, as well as a grocery list and optional weekend prep steps. Join our weekly meal plan service to get the grocery list, dinner steps, and more cooking tips for these 4 simple dinners.