Meal Plan Menu | Week of 6/29/20
This set of grill friendly recipes features a host of marinades, sauces, and vinaigrettes to build flavor in a big way. Get ready for our Chopped Chicken Salad with Cantaloupe and Buffalo Sauce Burger to blow your mind this summer!
Grilled Dijon Chicken with Zucchini Ribbon Salad
Whether you grill this meal or not, it is simply summer on a plate. The Zucchini Ribbon Salad lets you enjoy the fresh flavor and texture of thinly shaved raw zucchini, which pairs beautifully with peppery arugula, sweet plums, and crunchy pine nuts. And, if you have a grill, you can soak up some sun as you grill marinated chicken and olive oil-brushed bread for the perfect summer dinner.
If you want an even leaner and cleaner meal, you can just nix the bread and use coconut aminos in the marinade for the Paleo version of this recipe. If you want to keep the bread but need to make this meal gluten-free, you can easily use any GF loaf you find at the grocery store. You can also enjoy these same great summer flavors in our Grilled Portobellos with Honey Dijon Lentils that keeps the bread and salad for a delicious meatless meal.
Summer Spaghetti Carbonara
Spaghetti Carbonara is a unique dish from Rome and traditionally uses a delectable sauce made from egg yolks and cheese. It has become a weeknight favorite in our community, and we’re always adjusting the method and flavor combinations in search of a new favorite! This time around, we’re bringing you a summer version with squash, asparagus, and bacon. In only 40 minutes, you can have a delicious and classy dish that will impress a partner, parent, and friend alike.
If you want to make this recipe gluten-free or vegetarian, all you have to do is use GF spaghetti (or linguini) or omit the bacon. You can also enjoy many of the same ingredients in a different way with our Paleo Summer Squash, Bacon, and Asparagus Frittata that is served with roasted paprika sweet potatoes on the side.
Summer Chopped Chicken Salad with Cantaloupe
Even though most people have never had cantaloupe in a salad before, our community has raved about this recipe ever since we first created the recipe. That’s why we knew that it really wouldn’t feel like midsummer until we brought back this seasonal favorite! Plus, for this week’s menu, we make sure this bright and beautiful meal is an absolute breeze to throw together with leftover chicken from Monday. In under 30 minutes, you can enjoy a glorious salad that has the perfect balance of earthy pistachios, refreshing cantaloupe, sharp blue cheese, and lightly sweet honey dijon vinaigrette.
Another convenient thing about this meal is that it is naturally gluten-free and is super easy to make Paleo by simply omitting the cheese. And, to make it vegetarian, our meatless recipe uses leftover grilled portobello mushrooms from Monday and adds creamy white beans for a great boost of protein.
Buffalo Sauce Burger with Celery & Carrot Sticks
It’s always nice to end the week with a bang, and that’s why we are bringing you a grill friendly buffalo burger for Thursday’s dinner. With our creamy, savory, and spicy blue cheese sauce, these burgers are a fun twist on an American classic. Since this 40-minute meal is served with simple raw vegetables for dipping in extra sauce, it is great for warmer weather and any backyard BBQ with friends and family.
For anyone eating gluten-free, all you have to do is grab some GF hamburger buns at the store and this recipe is good to go. If you want to enjoy the same buffalo blue cheese sauce on a meatless patty, we have a great Spice-Rubbed Seitan Burger recipe for you. You can also try our Bunless Burger with Spicy Lemon ‘Buffalo’ Sauce if you are following the Paleo diet.
“Thank goodness for Cook Smarts! The confidence I have for cooking has skyrocketed since subscribing the last few years and is even more vital in the current pandemic situation.”
– Dalia S. (Member since Aug 2017)
Smart meal planning ideas come with every weekly menu. The smarts listed below are only a portion of the meal prep tips we include to help you make the most of your ingredients and your time. Join our community to get the full benefits of our meal plan service every day!
Meal Planning Tips
- This week, we make sure you can save time on your weeknight dinners by grilling chicken over the weekend so that both Monday and Wednesday’s meals will be nearly ready to go.
- Sauces and marinades can be made up to 5 days ahead of time, so make dijon marinade, honey dijon vinaigrette, and buffalo sauce over the weekend to make weeknights a breeze.
- Romaine lettuce – Use romaine lettuce to make Wednesday’s Chopped Chicken Salad and save a few of the larger leaves to top Thursday’s Buffalo Sauce Burger.
- Blue cheese – This tangy cheese is a classic ingredient in Thursday’s buffalo sauce, so we use it for Wednesday’s salad as well. That way, you don’t have to get two different cheeses at the store (and only use half of each). If you’re not a blue cheese fan, both of these meals would be great with feta or goat cheese, too!
- If you still have leftover marinated chicken after Monday and Wednesday’s dinners, a great way to use it up is to layer it in delicious wraps or sandwiches.
- Want to do something with the leftover egg whites from Tuesday’s Summer Squash Spaghetti Carbonara? Try making spiced nuts! We have a recipe for spiced, roasted nuts right here, but you can mix up this method to use just about any type of nuts and a variety of spices.
- You can also make your weekend extra fancy by slicing leftover melon into wedges and wrapping them with prosciutto for a simple and classic Italian appetizer – prosciutto e melone.
We do more than create meal plans.
We create memories around the dinner table.
All meals come with gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options, as well as a grocery list and optional weekend prep steps. Join our weekly meal plan service to get the grocery list, dinner steps, and more cooking tips for these 4 simple dinners.