Meal Plan Menu | Week of 4/20/20
Feeling stuck in a dinner rut or starting to feel “meh” about cooking at home? We have just the solution! Our weekly meal plan menu incorporates fresh springtime veggies, exciting flavor profiles, and an opportunity to dust off the grill and enjoy a meal outside. Just what is needed to combat the dinnertime blues!
Tom Kha Gai Soup with Chicken & Vegetables
This coconut-based Thai soup is a favorite in our Cook Smarts community, and we can’t wait for you to try it! Packed with fresh springtime veggies, this soup is sweet, tangy, and savory all at the same time. This comforting meal comes together in flash, in just about 30 minutes. Because this soup freezes well, we recommend making a double batch and freezing some for a super-quick meal later.
This naturally gluten-free soup can easily accommodate a variety of dietary needs. Simply leave out the brown sugar for a warm and filling Paleo soup. No chicken on hand? No problem! Use tofu and add baby corn for a delightful vegetarian Tom Kha Soup.
We packed this recipe with lots of veggies, so feel free to use what you have on hand – it will taste great!
Larb Summer Rolls with Mango Coconut Smoothie
Never tried making fresh summer rolls before? Now is a great time to explore new flavors and cooking techniques! Our recipe for fresh summer rolls includes a step-by-step video to teach you how to make them right in your home kitchen. It might take a bit of practice, but that’s part of the fun! This recipe is a fresh twist on the traditional summer roll because we use larb in the filling, which is a Thai-style minced salad of cooked ground meat, aromatics, and herbs. Enjoy with a creamy and sweet mango smoothie for a refreshing, colorful treat!
If you can’t find rice papers, enjoy all the same flavors in our Paleo recipe for Larb Lettuce Cups. Tempeh is the star ingredient in our vegetarian Honey Soy Tempeh Summer Rolls. For a gluten-free alternative, simply use tamari in the dipping sauce.
Quinoa Bowl with Za’atar Chickpeas & Soft-Boiled Egg
Grain bowls are healthy, fresh meals all in one bowl. But sometimes they can be “one note” – bland, mushy, and boring. This recipe is anything but that! We layer flavors, textures, and colors in such a way that each and every bite bursts with fresh springtime veggies, herbs, and spices. From the peppery arugula, to the za’atar spiced roasted veggies and chickpeas, to the perfectly cooked egg, to the spicy avocado crema, everything comes together beautifully in this quinoa bowl.
This gluten-free and vegetarian grain bowl is super easy to customize and adjust – feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. You can also enjoy all the flavors and textures of this grain bowl in salad form in our recipe for Paleo Za’atar Chicken and Arugula Salad.
Chipotle Guacamole Burger with Smoky Paprika Sweet Potato Fries
Warning – this is not your average burger . . . It is so much more! We pair a spicy chipotle burger patty with creamy avocado guacamole for the ultimate flavor combination that will have you coming back for more. Served with a side of crisp sweet potato fries, this is a warm weather meal that is sure to bring some fun to your dinnertime routine.
Our gluten-free members will serve the burgers on their favorite GF buns and our Paleo members will go sans buns. Vegetarians will repurpose leftover quinoa from Wednesday and make Chipotle Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers.
“My husband and I are recent empty-nesters, and I’ve been in a serious cooking rut. I tried to branch out, but struggled coming up with recipes on my own. Then several months ago I joined Cook Smarts, and now I truly love this new season of mealtimes! Thank you!”
– Meg C. (Member since March 2019)
Smart meal planning ideas come with every weekly menu. The smarts listed below are only a portion of the meal prep tips we include to help you make the most of your ingredients and your time. Join our community to get the full benefits of our meal plan service every day!
Meal Planning Tips
- All the components of Wednesday night’s quinoa bowl can be made ahead, so that when hunger strikes, you simply need to reheat and assemble the bowls as you would like.
- Get the burgers on the grill quickly on Thursday evening by forming the burger patties in advance.
- Warmer weather brings fresh and vibrant produce to the markets. This week we use garden-fresh zucchini in both the Thai soup and quinoa bowl. We also feature creamy avocados in both the avocado crema and guacamole. Look for a full leafy bunch of cilantro, as we use this bright green herb in all meals this week.
- We love keeping fresh citrus fruits on hand because they have a longer shelf life and add both flavor and acid to recipes – an essential part of bringing flavors into balance. This week we use zesty limes in the fresh summer rolls, quinoa bowl, and the guacamole for the chipotle burger.
- Maximizing pantry items is always one of our goals in creating a meal plan menu. We use both the chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce (usually packed together in a can) to bring a spicy, robust smoky flavor to two meals this week. When making Wednesday’s spicy avocado crema that calls for adobo sauce, save the chipotle peppers for Thursday’s burger patties.
- If you have leftover components to the Larb Summer Rolls, make a summer roll in a bowl by topping fluffy rice with warmed larb and shredded carrots. Drizzle with extra honey soy dipping sauce. For extra protein and texture, add a fried egg on top!
- Make delicious breakfast burritos by chopping leftover chipotle burger patties and adding freshly scrambled eggs, cheese, and your favorite condiments (use leftover avocado crema or guacamole if there’s any left). Wrap in your favorite tortilla and enjoy!
- For a tasty cool treat, make fruit smoothie popsicles by freezing leftover mango smoothie in popsicle molds. No popsicle molds? No problem! Use an ice cube tray or small cups and toothpicks.
We do more than create meal plans.
We create memories around the dinner table.
All meals come with gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options, as well as a grocery list and optional weekend prep steps. Join our weekly meal plan service to get the grocery list, dinner steps, and more cooking tips for these 4 simple dinners.