Meal Plan Menu | Week of 4/6/20
Travel the world and “eat the rainbow” with this week’s meal plan recipes! Dishes like Sopa de Fideo and Tuna Roll Salad will take you on a cultural journey to explore a variety of flavor profiles . . . all while eating an abundance of colorful vegetables!
Tuna Roll Salad with Avocado & Pickled Ginger
Start the week with a super fresh salad that is reminiscent of sushi, featuring beautifully seared ahi tuna on top of a bed of crisp romaine lettuce. Topped with creamy avocados, refreshing cucumbers, crunchy cashews, and a drizzle of homemade sesame ginger dressing, this salad is everything you love about a fresh tuna sushi roll – but in a bowl! Make it even more of a sushi dining experience by serving with pickled ginger, dried seaweed, and wasabi.
Homemade salads are easily customizable to accommodate your tastes and dietary needs. Swap out the soy sauce for tamari to enjoy a gluten-free salad. Use Bragg’s / coconut aminos and leave out the miso for a Paleo meal. And if you are looking for something to cook on a Meatless Monday, you can enjoy the classic flavors of sushi in a bowl with our vegetarian Tofu Sushi Roll Salad.
Sopa de Fideo
This Latin-inspired soup is warm and comforting with layers of flavors from spices, hearty veggies, and kidney beans for protein. But the star of this soup is the fideo noodles, which are toasted in oil until golden brown for extra flavor and then set aside to be added to the soup later to cook until tender. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a fresh squeeze of lime, and you’ve got a perfectly balanced hearty and tangy soup that will satisfy even the biggest appetite!
This recipe is naturally vegetarian, uses one pot for cooking, and easily feeds a crowd. Use gluten-free angel hair or spaghetti noodles in place of the fideo noodles for a delicious gluten-free alternative. For a Paleo compliant recipe, you will love our Latin Chicken Soup with mushrooms and spinach.
Taco Frittata with Chips & Salsa
For tonight’s meal we took two things we love at Cook Smarts – tacos and frittatas – and brought them together in a delicious recipe for Taco Frittata. With seasoned ground beef, sweet bell peppers, juicy tomatoes, fresh green onions, and creamy shredded cheese, this dinner is destined to become a favorite in your household! Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and salsa on the side for a fun midweek meal.
This frittata is a one-pan meal that is naturally gluten-free when you use GF tortilla chips served on the side. Make this a Paleo recipe by serving with a side of roasted paprika sweet potatoes in place of the chips. Vegetarians can swap black beans for the ground beef and enjoy all the flavors of tacos baked inside a fluffy frittata.
Sheet Pan Lemon Butter Chicken with Roasted Veggies & Butter Lettuce Salad
All it takes is a simple homemade sauce to elevate any meal to feel extra special. Tonight’s special sauce is lemon butter made with fresh garlic, lemon juice, honey, and dijon mustard – and it’s super easy to make all in the microwave! We drizzle the sauce over seared chicken thighs and roasted radishes and carrots, which all bake together in the oven. A refreshing butter lettuce salad adds some green on the plate and rounds out this meal nicely.
This sheet pan dinner is naturally gluten-free and Paleo friendly, making it an excellent dinner to serve to guests with a variety of dietary needs. Vegetarians will still experience the deliciousness of our lemon butter sauce with roasted veggies, quinoa, and a fried egg.
“Cook Smarts has not only increased the variety of cultural foods and flavors that we eat as a family but it has increased the amount of vegetables that both my kids eat on a daily basis. My children eat a much better variety thanks to Cook Smarts. I feel like we are really eating the rainbow daily.”
– Amanda B. (Member since March 2016)
Smart meal planning ideas come with every weekly menu. The smarts listed below are only a portion of the meal prep tips we include to help you make the most of your ingredients and your time. Join our community to get the full benefits of our meal plan service every day!
Meal Planning Tips
- Frittatas are a favorite of ours at Cook Smarts because they are easy to cook with endless flavor variations. They also reheat well, making frittatas an excellent dish to make ahead and reheat just before serving – perfect for a busy weeknight! If you know Wednesday night will be quite busy, we recommend making the Taco Frittata ahead of time. Then slice and reheat individual servings as needed.
- Green onions add a fresh, bright flavor to all four meals this week. Look for a hearty bunch at the grocery store, as you will need 8 stalks. But no need to do the math yourself – our grocery list feature calculates how much of each ingredient you will need for the week!
- Root vegetables are often very affordable, long-lasting, and packed with fiber and vitamins. This week we use fresh carrots in both Tuesday’s soup and Thursday’s sheet pan dinner. Not sure how to chop carrots? No worries! Our step by step recipes include short video tutorials to help you prep ingredients like a pro!
- A dollop of rich, velvety sour cream adds just the right balance to both the soup and frittata that are seasoned with chili powder and cumin. By using ingredients several times over the week, we minimize food waste and help you save money on your grocery bill.
- Chop up leftover taco frittata and roll in your favorite tortilla. Serve with sour cream and salsa for a delightfully quick and tasty breakfast burrito.
- Make a delicious salad with leftover lettuce, roasted veggies, and sliced chicken. Top with extra cashews or avocados for a bit of added decadence.
- This week’s leftover ingredients can become legendary nachos! Top leftover tortilla chips with shredded cheese, bell peppers, and tomatoes and bake until warm and bubbly. (You can even add a can of black beans for protein, if you like!) Once out of the oven, garnish with sour cream, salsa, chopped avocados, and extra green onions for a fresh zip of flavor. Set out on the table and let everyone dig in!
We do more than create meal plans.
We create memories around the dinner table.
All meals come with gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options, as well as a grocery list and optional weekend prep steps. Join our weekly meal plan service to get the grocery list, dinner steps, and more cooking tips for these 4 simple dinners.