So with that said, it’s safe to assume that the freezing weather can do that to your taste buds, too. Okay, we may not have scientific proof right now to show you, but that’s definitely what it feels like for us!
And the perfect remedy for that is to punch up the flavor in anything that we’re making. In short, we need bold flavors for the winter. Yesterday, we made chicken, carrots, and turnips super flavorful by adding fragrant curry paste. Today, we are using spices to give regular ol’ cauliflower a boost. More specifically, curry powder and turmeric.
You can add any kind of flavor with the help of our Spice Chart, but we chose curry powder and turmeric because we wanted something warm and spicy, with some subtle peppery and bitter flavors to balance the sweetness of the cauliflower.
And just like that, we turned regular roasted cauliflower (which is already great to start with) into something flavorful and delicious enough to warm and activate our taste buds so that we can enjoy every last morsel.
Now this is the perfect bold side dish that can battle any winter, come rain or snow!
For More Smarts:
- Spices are great for adding more flavor to your food, but they’re not the only thing. Our How to Maximize Flavors series covers everything from aromatics to sauces with the help of beautiful infographics!
- Give it a twist – try this dish with a dollop of the Lemon Yogurt Sauce from our recipe for Roasted Oregano Potatoes.
We love roasting vegetables because all you have to do is chop them and toss them into the oven. Check out our video on how to chop cauliflower:
Spread the cauliflower in a single layer on a sheet pan so that the cauliflower roasts evenly and gets nice and caramelized.
- Cauliflower – 1 head, chopped
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Cauliflower – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss cauliflower with cooking oil on a sheet pan and roast for 25 minutes. Toss with curry powder and turmeric (if using) in the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- Sprinkle cauliflower with salt and pepper hot out of the oven and enjoy!