Honey-Mustard Salmon with Corn & Peach Salsa + Avocado Creme
The forkful of salmon hits your tongue and practically melts from tenderness, and your eyes close as your tastebuds discover a sweet tanginess. Juicy peaches and crisp, sweet corn follow immediately, with a slight sharpness from green onions, and a smooth, buttery finish that could only come from avocados, and finally, a hint of lime.
You open your eyes and – what’s this? You’re not at a gourmet restaurant serving up modern, Californian cuisine? No. . .you’re at home. And you better believe that you just made that amazing, restaurant-quality dish! Or, you can make it once you scroll down for this week’s recipe.
“The honey mustard marinade was divine, and the salmon paired wonderfully with the peach salsa and avocado cream.”
This dish has all the flavors of summer in one delicious bite after another. It’s light and refreshing, and has all the makings of a dish you might find at a restaurant – a tender piece of salmon topped with a juicy, flavorful corn and peach salsa, and drizzled with a creamy avocado creme sauce.
But don’t be fooled by all the components. Everything comes together quite easily. If you know you’ll be wanting dinner on the table in less than half an hour, you can always make the salsa and the creme a day in advance. That way, all you need to do on the day of, is grill the salmon and plate everything together like how the pros do.
However, if you’re still looking for a shortcut tip, dice an avocado and toss with the salsa right before serving, instead of making the avocado creme. You’ll still get that buttery goodness without the extra work.
We paired this dish with a side of roasted asparagus in the original meal plan, but if you’re looking to add a side dish, use whatever fresh veggies you can find in the market. That’s the beauty of summer! There’s a ton of wonderful produce now in season [check out our Veggies by Month or Fruits by Month charts], so the possibilities are endless. You can try roasting okra or keep it simple with some steamed green beans tossed with lemon juice.
Whether or not you add a side, this dish will definitely have you making dinner reservations at your house a whole lot more!
“If I could give this dish 10 stars I would. My husband loved it so much, he asked if I could add it to the menu again.”
For More Smarts:
- Adding just a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the fish right before cooking makes a difference, so don’t forget this easy but important step.
- Rather than making such a small amount of avocado creme, double it and serve it up the next day, drizzled on top of a frittata for breakfast or tacos for dinner.
There’s more prep than cooking time required for this recipe, but it can be done easily and efficiently with some knife practice and these videos:
Let your blender do all the work when you make the avocado creme! It’ll help make the sauce super smooth without much effort on your part.
- Salmon – 1 1/2 lbs, rinsed and dried
- Honey-Mustard Marinade:
- Honey – 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard – 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil – 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika – 1/4 tsp
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Corn and Peach Salsa:
- Green onions – 1 stalk, chopped
- Corn – 1 cob, kernels of
- Peaches, small – 2, chopped
- Lime – 1/2, juice of
- Coriander – 1/4 tsp
- Paprika – 1/4 tsp
- Avocado Creme (~1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups):
- Avocado – 1/2, medium-sized and ripe
- Sour cream – 2 Tbsp
- Coriander – 1/8 tsp
- Lime – 1/4, juice of
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Make honey-mustard marinade – Mix together honey, Dijon, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, oil, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
- Marinate salmon – Rinse and pat salmon dry. Coat in honey-mustard marinade and place into a baking dish. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Corn / Peaches – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make corn and peach salsa – You can eat the corn raw, but if you prefer to cook it, just microwave it for ~1 minute. Toss together green onions, corn, peaches, lime juice, coriander, and paprika. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocado creme – Toss avocado, sour cream, coriander, and lime juice into a blender. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lightly salt and pepper salmon.
- <strong>If making on the grill:</strong> Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees, keeping one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and coat with some oil. Add salmon to higher heat part. Sear salmon on each side for ~3 minutes (keeping cover closed). Move to lower heat and cook for another 3 to 6 minutes (depending on thickness of salmon and your desired doneness) with cover closed.
- <strong>If making on the stovetop / oven:</strong> Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and brush with some oil. Add salmon to hot grill pan and sear for 3 minutes on both sides. Transfer to oven and cook for another 4 to 8 minutes.
- Enjoy salmon topped with corn and peach salsa. Drizzle avocado creme over everything!