Chipotle Burgers with Guacamole
Yesterday we talked how to grill burgers, and today I’m sharing my favorite burger recipe of this summer: chipotle burgers with guacamole. This magical recipe was actually inspired by a rather mundane task; I was going through my typical Sunday routine, rooting through the fridge to see what needed to be used before spoiling, and I found an open can of chipotles. I already was planning on making burgers that week and thought, “Why not throw some chipotles in them?” It was a moment of genius as the chipotles transformed plain ol’ ground beef into a smoky, Latin-inspired twist on the traditional beef patty.
Inspired by the chipotles, I decided to just go with the Latin theme, so in went diced jalapenos (if you like heat, just keep more of the seeds in), chopped cilantro, and some adobo sauce to the patty mix (canned chipotles usually come in adobo sauce so no need to buy another jar of sauce). To make this burger even more of a crowd pleaser, I topped it with guacamole (get the recipe here) for a luscious, rich finish. Depending on how much you love chipotle peppers, you could even sandwich some more of them between your bun and patty for even more smokiness.
The result is one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. Stephen my intern enjoyed 2 after filming our burger segment. His decision was soon followed by a food coma, but I could hardly blame the guy. These were indeed some perfect burgers. Make sure to follow all our tips here on our “How to Grill Burgers” post for best results.
About chipotles: I typically find canned chipotle peppers in the ethnic aisle of my grocery store. You’ll find them with all the other Latin food. There are several brands but typically the peppers come in adobo sauce. Chipotles are more smoky than spicy. Another great way to use them up is to blend them with some mayonnaise for a delicious chipotle mayo that you can dip just about anything into!
- Jalapenos – 1, seeded & diced
- Chipotles – 3, chopped
- Cilantro – 3 tbs., chopped
- Ground beef (20% fat) – 1 1/2 lbs.
- Adobo sauce – 2 tbs., can be found with canned chipotles
- Worcestershire sauce – 2 tbs.
- Honey – 1 tbs.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Black pepper – 1/4 tsp.
- Cooking oil – 1 to 2 tbs.
- Burger buns – 4
- Guacamole – Recipe listed here
- Jalapenos / Chipotles / Cilantro – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Burger – Using hands, mix together ground meat, jalapenos, chipotles, Adobo sauce, worcestershire sauce, honey, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Form into four 3/4″ to 1″ thick patties, and make a depression in the center with your thumb. Cover and refrigerate if not making right away. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Brush patties with cooking oil and salt and pepper. Heat up grill or grill pan over high heat. Grill burgers for about 7 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. (If using outdoor grill, place burgers over flame, same cooking time.)
- Toast buns on grill or in a 400 degree oven for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Enjoy burgers topped with guacamole (and more chipotle peppers if you want).