Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal
Author: Jess Dang
Recipe type: Make Ahead Breakfast
- Steel cut oats - 2 cups
- Water - 6 cups
- Milk (any type) - 2 cups
- Butter - 2 tbs.
- Apples, peeled & chopped (optional) - 2 to 3
- Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- Kosher salt - 2 tsp.
- Cinnamon - 1 tbs.
- Star anise (optional) - 2 to 3
- Put all ingredients in a slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high
- Top with nuts, yogurt, fruit, jams, coconut shavings!
- Steel cut oats use a 4:1 liquid to oats ratio. You can use any combination with the liquid - water, soy milk, almond milk, milk all work
- If you don't have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan
Recipe by Cook Smarts at http://www.cooksmarts.com/cs-blog/2013/03/slow-cooker-steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/