Oven-Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Shallots & Fennel Seeds
Author: Jess Dang
Recipe type: Vegetable Side Dish
Serves: 4 to 6
- Brussels sprouts - 1.5 lbs.
- Shallots or red onion - 3 bulbs or 1 small
- Brown sugar - 2 tbs.
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbs.
- Fennel seeds - 1 tbs.
- Kosher salt
- Brussels sprouts - Peel off any leaves that look like they've seen better days. Rinse and trim off a bit of the ends. Slice in half lengthwise
- Shallots / red onion - Slice into strips. For a video demo, click here
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In a bowl, mix together slice brussels sprouts, sliced shallots / red onions, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and fennel seeds
- Spread brussels sprouts out in one even layer on baking sheet. If you've got an extra minute, turn all the brussels sprouts so that the open side is facing down
- Sprinkle with kosher salt
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450
- Take pan out, give it a shake and another sprinkle of salt if you're a salt monster like me
- Place them back in the oven and lower temperature to 400 and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes, until sprouts are crisp on the outside but soft and cooked through on the inside
- You can preheat the oven with the baking pan inside to get a head start on roasting. That way when vegetables hit the pan, they start cooking immediately
- We start the oven at a hot 450 degrees to get our brussels sprouts nice and caramelized. The lower temperature then finishes the cooking without burning the outer leaves
- We love tossing these sprouts with a heaping bowl of whole grains or pasta. Toss in some nuts, and you've got yourself a hearty, healthy meal
Recipe by Cook Smarts at http://www.cooksmarts.com/cs-blog/2012/10/oven-roasted-caramelized-brussels-sprouts-with-shallots-fennel-seeds/