Week 1 of January’s Super-Food Challenge* with the beautiful Francheska of Hey Fran Hey features the sweet potato. Don’t let its sweet-like-candy taste fool you. This root vegetable is power-packed, filled with fiber, beta-carotene, and a whole host of vitamins. We love baking it, roasting it, making it into fries, and using it as a meat substitute in tacos.
Sweet potatoes make a perfect hearty filling for a taco when you want to opt for a vegetarian version. We prepare ours in a saute pan with some diced red onions to add a sweet sharpness and a mix of already-in-your-pantry spices to add a flavor punch. We combine it with black beans, a whole wheat tortilla, and a dollop of creme fraiche, sour cream, or even Greek yogurt, and you’ve got yourself a complete protein. These tacos will be so delicious and easy to make that you’ll hardly think of this as a challenge.
Check out our full list of sweet potato recipes here
*We are so excited to be part of Hey Fran Hey‘s January Super-Food Challenge. We know that everyone wants to kick off the new year with some healthy eating habits, so we put together a list of our favorite super foods. Throughout the month of January, you’ll be challenged to cook a new super food every week. Get ready to feel super!
- Sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed – 1lb.
- Garlic, minced – 1 clove
- Red onion, diced – ½
- Black beans – ½ can
- Veg / canola / grapeseed oil – 1 tbs.
- Paprika – ½ tbs.
- Cumin – ½ tsp.
- Cayenne – a pinch
- Tortillas (preferably whole wheat) – 4
- Crème fraiche / sour cream / plain yogurt (optional) – ¼ cup
- Avocado (optional) – 1 small ripe
- Limes – 1
- Sweet potatoes – peel & cube
- Garlic – mince
- Red onion – dice
- Beans – open, drain, and rinse
- Heat your largest frying pan / cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. oil to the pan. Once oil is heated, add garlic, red onion, and a dash of salt to heated oil. Sauté until softened, ~3 minutes
- Next add sweet potatoes to the pan with a generous pinch of salt and spices. Add 2 tbs. of water to the pan, cover with a lid, and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for ~5 to 8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are softened
- Add beans to the pan and toss everything together until beans are heated through. Season to taste with more salt or spices
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions and fill with spoonful’s of your filling, a healthy dollop of dairy, sliced avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Even die-hard carnivores are going to be so jealous of your dinner. Go *YOU*